Urban Lights

This image was from an outing with the local camera club to the local downtown in search of monochrome images. While I felt a little out of my element, it seemed to be a useful exercise to force me to discover images in unfamiliar territory. When I feel overwhelmed by all the visual inputs (as I did in this environment), I try to concentrate on isolated details as a way tune-out information. That sometimes leads to more abstract images, which I like. I think the monochrome processing helps heighten the abstract sense in this case.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Does the brightness contrast work OK? I experiment with different settings and ended up here.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? I’m trying to make this chandelier look like bubbles. Did you think “bubbles” when you first saw this?

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I think you succeeded nicely, Tony. I definitely thought bubbles and the processing looks real good. Minor, but I might build in a little more room at the top, a little black on the border. Real nice take from your club outing.

Thanks for the feedback, Harley. I’m sort of the same mind that more room at the top might be useful, but I’m also liking the sense that these balls are floating somewhat randomly and that one is about ready to float out of the frame. It seems to create just a little extra tension to make the elements feel a bit more dynamic.

A very nice abstract, Tony. I agree with Harley that a bit of black between the upper bubble and the border would be nice. You might also think about taking one of the balls with a good reflection and processing just the reflection to make it pop a little more.

Tony: I thought of balloons when I saw the thumbnail. I kind of like how you positioned the top globe; its like its up against the ceiling. Well seen and captured.>=))>

Excellent vision Tony. The lights look like bubbles floating in space. They appear so delicate. I also love the random placement and that one just touching the top edge is a fine touch. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Very cool, Tony, I also thought they were bubbles…I do like the tightness at the top as if the “bubble” is on its way out of the frame, well seen.

Not quite sure exactly what you’ve done here, Tony, with the lights, but I do like it. I especially think the comp works, indeed suggesting the rise of bubbles up through the frame. Overall, I feel the lighting works well, though maybe the brightest highl;ights are a bit distracting.

Tony, This worked out very well for you. it’s mesmerizing. My first thought was champagne…bubbly. I’m looking very hard to find anything that might improve this and all I can come up with is to maybe remove the slight vertical “shadows” along the left-hand side. They do draw my eye a bit and add a tiny anchor that makes the “bubbles” seem less free floating. I had to work to find that, though. This is an excellent image. Nicely done!