Utah Sunset

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On my trip to Utah, we went to Deadhorse State Park near sunset. The colors and shapes of the mountains and desert are amazing.

Specific Feedback

I am just looking for overall feedback how you feel about the blueish background and the sunset colors in the foreground. I think it works.

Technical Details

Nikon D5600 Sigma 18-300 @155mm
ISO 400 f/10 1/100 sec
Manfrotto Tripod
Polorizer


Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

Vision and Purpose:
Conceptual:
Emotional Impact and Mood:
Composition:
Balance and Visual Weight:
Depth and Dimension:
Color:
Lighting:
Processing:
Technical:

Mike,

The color contrasts are interesting in this photo and the orange/blue combination is a nice one. I am wondering why the blue BG is so uneven in luminosity as you move horizontally across the frame? Other than that I like what you have.

Great composition! To my eye it seems oversaturated, and the blue unnaturally dark.

Hi Mike,
The light on this desert landscape is exquisite. For my own personal tastes I too find the colors oversaturated, especially the blues. I think if you lowered the saturation it would elevate this scene another notch. That is just my opinion of course as saturation is a personal choice. This looks like a very beautiful location.

I like this Mike. With a little work it could be made even better. I think the FG looks good. The saturation looks natural to me with the strong sidelight on these rock formations. They often take on thgis amazing glow. But I agree with the others about the BG. It’s a little too strong a blue and uneven as @Youssef_Ismail says.

I debated about the saturation as well but this image when printed looks somewhat better. This will be in a local art show. Thanks for the feedback.

Mike Lindeman

I pretty much agree with @Tony_Siciliano’s assessment. But it could be a matter of taste. Some buyers I’m sure will like this look. Usually contrast drops as objects are further away.

Beautiful subject, and I love the splash of light in the central area. As presented here though, I too agree with @Youssef_Ismail .

I really like the layering of elements in the image, it gives it real depth. I think the foreground elements in the light look great. I think the background looks a little off with the uneven dark blue mountains and the lighter rocks right in front of them that don’t seem to be getting the same sunset colors.