Viceroy Butterfly

Seen this morning in the wildflower field behind my house. Not being a nectar feeder, I find this species tough to catch with a camera. I was able to get a few quick shots today with its wings spread wide.

Canon 90D, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II, 1.4x TC III
ISO 640, f11, 1/320s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

A great look at this butterfly, Allen. I have seen it a few times, but it has been awhile. I didn’t realize that they don’t feed on nectar. Been so long now since I saw one, I can’t remember if he was anywhere near flowers. I love the position that you captured him in, and those nice green leaves support him nicely. Great shot with very nice details throughout.

Allen: Viceroys are pretty rare around here so this is a treat. Great catch and a terrific capture. >=))>

Hi Allen,

Nice and crisp shot and you took advantage oif the flkattened wings for this shot. I would darken the BG especially in the upper portion to make the diagonal stems have less emphasis in the shot. They tend to draw my eyes away from the subject. Other than that, a good shot of a tough catch for sure. Well done…Jim

Allen, this is a good look at this Viceroy. It stands out well among all of the greens. It’s also nice to see all of the scratching on its wings.