Waiting for Grape Jelly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

House finches are the second most common bird to utilize grape jelly feeders on our deck. Early in the morning, the sunlight hits the birds making their feathers glow with color. I used the Auto Capture feature of the Z9 and was able to get several photos of the finch raising its crest.

Technical Details

Z9 600mm f4 (1/800 sec at F8, ISO 640; Fill flash -2.0ev) Topaz DeNoise AI, Levels, Shadows & Highlights , Brightness & Contrast, Crop for Comp.

1 Like

Hey, Jim. I was going to post a male House Finch photo that looks much like this (except my bird is facing the opposite direction), same type of background , and I was going to talk about how they eat almost as much grape jelly as the Orioles! What a coincidence! I might post it tomorrow.

Your photo looks great. Excellent detail in the bird, fine color, and a nice background. Good story. Well done.

1 Like

Very nice! Great detail and BG! This guy is dressed up to go on a date!

We have a lot of these but oddly I’ve never seen them going for the jelly., although they love suet. Maybe the Acorn Woodpeckers have frightened them away. The Starlings found it last year and keep trying for it. The Orioles may give up and never come back.

1 Like

Hi Jim, love seeing that brilliant red in this bird - I too often see just muted colors on the ones around here. I like the subject placement in the frame and the BG is really nice too. Well done.

1 Like

Hi @terryb , please post your photo. Coincidence in photography does happen and every photo has some degree of uniqueness based on artistic preferences and the equipment used for the shot. Plus, I always wanted to know what the other side of a house finch looks like :grin:. Grape jelly feeders are quite popular with the birds right now. Baltimore and orchard orioles, catbirds, and house finches all take advantage of this type of feeder. I do get an occasional red bellied woodpecker as well.