Waiting for the Sun!

Description:

With rain falling and a very large lens to lug back to the car, I stopped and saw something remarkable–3 skimmers lined up on a twig waiting for the sun.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850 600mm f4 (1/400 sec at f16, ISO 1600) Topaz DeNoise, Bump up exposure, Levels, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, Crop for comp.
Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Fantastic capture, Jim. Lucky you.

1 Like

Awesome, Jim. Yeah, that 600mm lens is a beast. Great image and I really like the blank background.

1 Like

Jim, you got three for the price of one! How cool is that. So glad that you spotted them and was able to get this shot. Well done.

1 Like

Neat to get all three and all in the same position as if they’re poised ready to take off.

1 Like

Wonderful!! And the perfect BG to make this almost an abstract. Wonderful detail in the dragonflies!

Now that’s one advantage of a 600 f/4 that I hadn’t thought about…

1 Like

Pretty amazing, Jim, to get three nicely lined up like this! The angled perch is a fine extra. I’m thinking that these are Blue Dasher females…

1 Like

Great job getting them all in focus, Jim. I don’t think you could have improved on this - it’s great.

1 Like

Jim: Luck comes to those who are prepared. Marvelous find and a terrific capture. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like