Walking on the Sun

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was one of those rare times I knew what I wanted, and needed to do some of it in post processing. I was in Provincetown, MA, and house I was staying in had a great garden with these beautiful dahlias. When I looked across the flowers and into the afternoon light, many of then really glowed. I decided to get in close and shoot against the light. In this frame I really needed to burn down the foreground the help the pedals glow. I didn’t want to go too dark with the exposure, or I started to lose that hallo effect, and it got muddy. I kept the DOF shallow to bring out the glow more.

Technical Details

Canon R
85 mm macro
ISO 200
1/2000 sec (Until I wrote this, didn’t realize I was shooting so fast for a flower that was standing still.:slight_smile: )
f/2.8

1 Like

Wow That’s really cool.

1 Like

This is rally interesting, Patrick. I like the effect a lot. When I first looked at it, I wanted it rotated counter clockwise a bit to make it symmetrical (I used to be an engineer), but that desire actually gives the image some tension which is enhanced by the angle you had to the flower to make it transition from sharp on the lower left to slightly soft on the lower right. The only thing you might think about changing from my point of view is the one slightly lit petal projecting into the black just to the right of center. It really pulls my eye.

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas @Dennis_Plank . At one point I was thinking of rotating the image a bit, too. But after doing the PS stuff, I didn’t try it. Now you have me thinking. Thanks again.

Wow, this is a really striking image Patrick and I like the backlit halo effect. Nice job on the post processing to enhance it too.

1 Like

Patrick: I love backlit images and this is a good one. I also like your DOF/POF choice. Nicely conceived, composed and captured. >=))>

1 Like

Patrick, the arc of gold looks great, well placed in the frame…I’m thinking a golden Stegosaurus…

1 Like

Thank you @Bill_Fach, It is nice when an image comes together.

Ha, thanks @Mark_Seaver , there was a part of me that thought something like that, but it never come together in my head. I was more going with the back lit sun idea. But I now might have a fun back up title if I need it. :wink: