Wary Travellers

Strathfarrar, Highlands, Scotland

The companion image to a previous image called drapery. I am sure most will prefer this version but I like both. This gorgeous autumnal scene along the privately owned glen of Strathfarrar was already idyllic and radiant with the russet reds and gold of autumnal birch but the whole scene was undoubtedly elevated by the unlikely appearance of these three wary travellers. For the sake of perfection I would have liked it even more had all three sheep been perfectly separated but beggars can’t be choosers.

Pentax 67II, 300mm lens, polariser, f5.6 at 1/30 second, Fuji Velvia 50

3 Likes

I love the light and the rural scene. I am on the fence about the shallow DOF in this one. My mind seems fine with the bottom area but I struggle with the OOF hanging branches. Beautiful fall colors!

Ian: What a marvelous inviting scene with wonderful light and color. I’m completely OK with the DOF and may not have even noticed the soft areas if Harley hadn’t mentioned it. Great capture of a unique moment. >=))>

I think about rural Europe as soon as I see this image, Ian and I think in that sense you have conveyed the location really well. I am with Harley on the DOF issue. OOF FG more often than not is the bane of my existence.

At least all three of the sheep were looking at the camera. I think the sheep are a wonderful element in this image,

I love the autumn colors you have, they are very rich looking without being over saturated. I am okay with the OOF vegetation framing the scene, I think it adds some mood to the image. My only nit would be to crop some away from the left, the tree trunk that is split in half by the frame edge is a minor distraction to me.

Ian,

No less beautiful or impactful than your previous post. Have you submitted to any tourism agencies? :smiley: Just a terrfici, classicly beautiful image.

If I was to suggest anything and I don’t recall if this was the same with your previous version, but I would burn down that bright yellow clump of grasses at the bottom. Not a huge deal, just a thought.

Lon

Truly a beautiful scene, Ian, and the sheep are really icing on the cake. I too like the fall colors. Very nice. :+1: :+1: