Water and crabs

Hey everybody, first I’m not sure if this image fits this category, please correct me if it doesn’t.

This image was taken at Madeira at the Seixal beach dock.

Thanks in advance, cheers. :slight_smile:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Exposure and shutter speed, I wanted to freeze the action but maybe a longer shutter would give a better water flow.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Shooted handheld, just some LR corrections.
61mm f/5 1/200s @ISO 50

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jferrao88

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This turned out well. I like the dynamics of the motion. The composition feels a bit to me on the left and bottom of the rock, but not an image breaker either. Love the blues in the water.

1 Like

The image is too tight for me at the bottom, Joao. But I really like the overhead look on this. The wave that hugs the image at the top is very nice. I could see a little more texture pulled out on the crest right above the rock. But it’s no biggie.

1 Like

I couldn’t make out the crabs in the smaller version, but they indeed provide really nice detail when the image is enlarged. A slower shutter speed would have made the water a little less prominent while calling more attention to the crabs, but in fact I like it as-is.

Perhaps (likely?) I’m jaundiced by too many years looking at images, but I welcome small rewards like the crabs when I look closer at just another pretty scene. The extra details raise an image to a higher level in my eyes. Color, exposure and post processing are fine by me, perhaps because I’m becoming averse to over-processed images.

1 Like

Joao, I like the wave action you captured here. I think for an image like this, you want a shutter speed that creates some texture and definition in the waves and spray, and what you have here works pretty well. I think a longer shutter speed might have created more areas of detail-less white, and might not have worked as well. I also love the aqua/blue color in the water that looks great. In terms of composition, I agree with the others about it feeling a bit tight on both the left and bottom, but there’s not much you can do about that unless you have some shots taken at a wider focal length.

1 Like

Thanks @Harley_Goldman, @Adhika_Lie, @Hank_Pennington and @Ed_McGuirk.

After reading your comments i agree with the composition tips, sadly its tight because i was trying to isolate this rock from other that would (IMO) distract.

Just to make clear i understood correctly, you’re sugesting pull down the highlights to get texture?

I know that feeling, i see images so over processed now aways. Sometimes i too make that mistake (shame on me) but i get tired of those images fast.
The crabs are a small detail but one that i love, i saw hundreds but with a lack of a tele lens i dont have much good images of them. Fortunatly this shot has a good balance of size on them when in full size.

Again thanks all, ill try to make some ajustments and will post v2 asap.
Cheers.

Yep, just a little bit to show the texture a little more.

1 Like

João,

This one is growing on me after returning to this a few times. The large view is key here in seeing not only the crab, but the crispness and color of the ocean.

I think the shutter speed was just fast enough to freeze most of the water - although the one thing that sticks out for me is some lack of detail in much of the water immediately above the rock. While I don’t think it’s washed out, I think it just lacks a bit of texture; perhaps a faster shutter speed may have been able to capture that texture. Otherwise, the timing is good to get a good balance between the water action and the rock and crabs.

Lon

1 Like

So i pushed those highlights a bit down, the original shot was a bit overexposured so pushing it even more unbalaces the exposure.
I like the texture on that foam and i think the image its a lot better like this.

Many thanks to everybody.

Cheers,
João Ferrão