Water and Wildflowers

This is a photo I took recently while hiking in Indian Peaks Wilderness, Colorado. Because of a slight breeze that was occasionally moving the flowers, I did not attempt a focus stack. Instead I put the focus on a section of flowers near the center. I used f/16 to get decent focus on the others.

2.3 second exposure
F/16
ISO 64

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I like this very much. Even with f/16 the DOF is relatively shallow since you were close to the flowers. I think it works very well for this scene. The background is a nice supporting part of the stars of the show. Nice image.

1 Like

Very nice. I think this composition is better without a focus stack.

Michael, this view, focused on that fine collection of flowers, with the stream behind gently adding atmosphere, works very well. I don’t see any motion in the flowers so the breeze couldn’t have been that regular. I agree that this view likely works better than a stack.

1 Like

Hi Michael - I like the sharpness on the flowers and slight blur on the rocks. Your technicl choices in the field seemed to work nicely on this final image. IMO I would change a thing. Beautiful!

1 Like

Michael,

I love this! Kudos for recognizing a wonderful setup and potential. Using selective focus with the background starting to go soft which works beautifully to keep the attention up front with the flowers. Do I wish all the flowers were in focus - sure, but there’s plenty that are sharp enough to complete a beautifully captured image.

Lon

1 Like