Waterfall foliage

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These plants were growing on boulders in a large waterfall. They’re not pretty but I thought they were interesting.

I had to take a number of shots to get one where the foliage wasn’t too blurred. I’d have used a more generous frame but there was junk on all sides. Any and all feedback would be welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 400, f/13, 1/10th sec.

I think you made an effective choice in framing this image. While there is not much “breathing room” for the rocks and foliage you have eliminated distractions and kept the focus on the engaging geometry (zig-zag) of them. The contrast in color and luminosity between the water and the rocks/foliage also contributes nicely.

Hi Don! I’ll bet this image is the larger version of your “small falls” image posted a few days ago? I love that one and this, too. It’s a really unique view, and your framing works well. Paraphrasing what Dean said, it is tight, but that works. It keeps attention on the details of the rocks, grass and the water flow. Nice!!

Dean, Susanna, thank you both for your comments. I’m glad you find the framing okay. I thought it looked a bit tight but I’m not a reliable judge of my own work

Susanna, I can see why you would see a resemblance to the “small falls” shot but this was a shot of a different spot in the midst of the big falls. There was a lot to look at!