Repost with more room on the bottom and left:

Original Version

Sunrise on the Pacific Coast

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

350mm, 0.3 sec @ f/22, ISO 100.

2 Likes

This is a very fun image to look at David, and there’s a fascinating optical illusion going on here, especially after scrolling to a stop, or when glancing back at the photo after reading what I’m typing here. The image looks like it’s actively moving and the waves are rolling through the composition. I really like your choice of shutter speed and the movement within the scene. I do wish there was a bit more space at the bottom, though perhaps what I’m really noticing is the brightness down there. I would suggest some very subtle burning of that lower edge to help direct the eye away from that lower edge. I’ll be curious to see if other people viewing this image also see the optical illusion I see. Excellent work David.

David,

Love this! Makes me want to hit the coast in the very near future. Maybe this weekend!

Yes Ben! I must say that after reading Ben’s comment and then going back and forth to the image - yikes! I can sense that motion as well. Weird, and amazing at the same time.

I’m also with Ben a little on the bottom. In fact my first thought was that it feels like this needs a little space all the way around. Softness and gentle rolling and motion feels like it just needs more room to be free, but the tighter presentation seems to constrain things a little bit. That’s not to say I’m enjoying this any less - just being super analytical… :roll_eyes:

Lon

Excellent sense of motion David. As Lon and Ben mentioned, I would prefer a bit more breathing room at the bottom. The waves end abruptly there at the edge.

Love the movement, energy and the stunning detail, David. Truly mesmerizing.

@Ben_Horne, @Lon_Overacker, @Alfredo_Mora, and @linda_mellor thank you for the comments and suggestions. I’ve posted version with a bit more room up above.

Thanks again,
David

1 Like

New version is better for sure…

1 Like

I like both versions David. I like your original post because it has nicely spaced horizontal waves going across the scene. I think the bottom wave could be burned down a little bit so it doesn’t catch the eye so much but I like the uniformity of it better than the repost which has the 2 waves along the bottom that are too close together. In any event, these are both wonderful images. I’m with @Ben_Horne. I think I need a Dramamine. Terrific sense of movement in these shots. I think your shutter speed and panning were just about right. There is soft and subtle texture. Well done David!

1 Like

I love both versions! I think it would be interesting to do a 50% opacity cloning on the bottom wavefront on the newer version. I’d clone from the lighter area just above it, with the largest brush you can get away with.

1 Like