Waves Too

This was taken earlier than the last one I posted. The sun hadn’t hit the sky and water yet, so it’s cooler in tone.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

350mm, .3 sec @ f/22, ISO 100.

2 Likes

I loved the last one but love this one even more! The number of elements is simpler and the breaking wave at the bottom is so beautiful. Wonderful movement of lines. Gorgeous!!

I agree with @Diane_Miller about this one being even better than the last one. I love the simplicity of this one and also that there is more room at the bottom under the breaking wave. Again, the shutter speed and panning speed is just about perfect.
I encourage you to check out Mark Metternich @ https://www.markmetternich.com/ to give you some ideas on his panning techniques while shooting waves. They are truly remarkable. I believe he uses a slightly faster shutter speed so that he gets a little bit more texture in the waves but even he admits, that you need to shoot a lot of waves to get one that’s just right. He is one of the worlds premier landscape photographers.
Keep it up David. I love these.

David,

Ditto to the previous comments! Love this one! and yes, I think the simplicity, fewer elements, etc. really make this one stand out. And because of that, it doesn’t feel cramped.

Colors are simple and wonderful too. No nits or suggestions.

Lon

Thank you, @Diane_Miller, @David_Haynes, and @Lon_Overacker for the nice comments. Much appreciated.

@David_Haynes, yes, I have followed Mark Metternich’s work on Fred Miranda’s site and his images were my inspiration to start playing around with this. I need to go when the waves are bigger so I can focus on a single wave. His shots are around 1/4 of a second and probably less movement than I did. So, I will continue to try this. Next Friday is my chance to get larger wave action. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the comments.

Cheers,
David

Good luck on Friday. Can’t wait to see what you get.

David, I’m preferring this version over the other one you shared. This image has a great balance to it. The darker part of the wave really anchors the image. There is a beautiful motion to the waves as well. Great job!

1 Like