We Are Hungry Egret Family + Redo

ReDo 1

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Emotional Response
Balance
Mood
What story does it tell?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I was returning from my trip to the southeastern US coast when I stopped back at the Audubon Swamp Garden. Everyone was very hungry.

Technical Details

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic
Technical still working on dialing in White birds. Paying as much attention to the blinkies as I grab.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

It looks like the kids are hungry and no one’s paying attention. The composition (balance) is excellent and it tells an interesting story. Technically, I’m having trouble getting past the very low light and the high noise level. I can see the low light as having this take place under the canopy where it’s relatively dark, but the noise level doesn’t seem to contribute to the mood or story.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank
I ran the file through Topaz and warmed it up.
Intresting that I did not notice noise until you pointed it out.
Steve

Good job on the re-post. This is an eye-grabbling scene. Very nice detail and color and the black background works well with the white egrets. Great capture.

I like the repost a lot better, Steve. Which Topaz did you use for this? It looks like it tried to do some sharpening on the out of focus chicks which is one reason I avoid Topaz (my prejudice). I believe there are ways you can control that, but since I don’t use it, I don’t know the controls. By the way, the next time you edit this (if you do) you could correct the typo in the title :smile:

Hi Steve really like the repost. This shows the action at a rookery very well. Love the prominent adult with the chicks begging in the BG. Looks like I avoid Topaz for some of the same reasons Dennis does.

Thanks again Guys
I use Topaz Photo AI
Likely I do not have the settings correct and have overdone it
Steve