Weird Winter

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Climate change has created a new normal for the seasons, and Minnesota’s warm winter with almost no snow exemplifies this. Days in the high 40’s and even 50’s have created unsafe ice conditions on melting lakes that would otherwise be littered with ice houses. The melting spots on the lake suggest that Nature could not make up its mind on the weather. This is late afternoon with a dreary soft-looking sky. I tried to use the highlights in the middle of the lake to lead the eye into the clouds, which is the main element of the image.

Specific Feedback

How does the image work aesthetically ? What mood does the image convey?

Technical Details

This is shot with an iPhone 11with the LR mobile app, and was enlarged using Topaz Photo Ai.

I like how you have handled this image. You have drawn the viewer into the center, feels like I am in a boat going through the channel.
Also impressed this is from an iPhone. How large a print do you think you can go with Topaz? This type of image comes into its own when printed very large.
Good B&W tones.
Steve
PS I have gone back to looking at old iPhone 8 images also working with Topaz Photo. Surprising how good the iPhone is.

Hi Steve, Thanks for your comment. Your view of the image is exactly how I hoped others would see it. The iPhone is not my camera of choice, but it’s what I had at the time. I must have enlarged the image 3-4 times. Tomaz will go up to 6x.