Winter Skyelight

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Cuaig, Wester Ross, Scotland

A winter dusk view across the Minch to the snow dusted peaks of Skye from a high viewpoint on the Applecross coastal road at Cuaig. I loved the delicate contrasting shades of blue and turquoise with the white tips of the mountains showing beneath a sky filled with layered grey clouds. Every now and then a fishing boat would chug into the scene offering a vital sense of scale.

Technical Details

Fuji GFX 50S, Fuji GF45-100 zoom, f/9 at ISO 100, unfiltered.

1 Like

I am not usually that big on panorama crops but I think this is an instance where it is an appropriate choice. This image, it seems to me, is about sweep and expanse. The little tug to the left adds a further sense of scale. The colour palette is lovely and gives the image a sense of calm. I actually find a feel of tension that arises in the juxtaposition of the apparent calm with the vulnerability implied by the vastness of the scene (again highlighted by the lone tug). My only recommendation has to do with the dark outcropping that runs midway from ¼ of the way from the left all the way to the far right. I would like to lift the shadows and show a touch more detail. As it is, that section of the image has an almost impenetrable visual mass that disturbs the flow of the image. Lightening that up so that it doesn’t so much block my eye’s movement would further enhance what I think you are trying to portray in this image. Nicely done.

Only looking this photo in the enlarged image I think that it is possible to see the beauty, the mood, the atmosphere of this photo. The soft light, the almost absent saturation of the colors, the simplicity of the composition allow to grasp the calm soul of this landscape. Splendid.