Western Bluebird nest-building

We have a pair of Bluebirds making a nest in a new box that I can shoot from a window. I’ve heard they will sometimes make several nests and then decide which one to use, so I’m hoping this one will be their choice. The box used last year by Bluebirds (no idea if it was the same pair) now seems to belong to Barn Swallows.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 1000mm, ISO 800, f/14 (wide open), 1/800 sec, tripod. Minimal adjustments – shadows/highlights, NR and a darker vignette. No cloning, cropped to about 70% of full frame.

2 Likes

Diane, this is a fine look at your Bluebird with his mouthful of nest-building material. Great perch and nice BG to make him stand out nicely. I like that we get a view of his back while he turned his head, giving a nice side profile of his head. I find shooting through the window really works well for a nice blind, and I can work at my computer, etc., and just glance out for activity worthy of shooting.

I like the back side pose and the grasses in the beak just add to the story. Nice image.

I like the pose, perch, and background. The grass takes it up a notch-always nice to have some sense of activity. Lucky to have these guys close by, hope they nest for you.

Superb image detail, color, perch, head turn, nest building action. A complete package!

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, @Keith_Bauer, @Allen_Brooks and @David_Schoen – I just posted the same bird in the shade taken later today.

1 Like

I like this one too, Diane. The second one is a bit more dramatic, but this is a fine image with the bird nicely posed. Well done.