What do You Want?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from yesterday in my blind. This is the male Evening Grosbeak still in beautiful breeding plumage. He was nice enough to give me some good poses from this perch. To me, this specis always looks disapproving, like a school principal finding me doing something I shouldn’t (and that’s a long, long time ago).

This was my ground pond and had been messed up by the raccoon the night before, so the water was pretty dirty and I was really surprised to see birds using it.

Specific Feedback

I cleaned up the rock he’s perched on and some of the background rocks, but I left the fir needles along the waterline to provide a hint that it’s in wooded conditions. Are they still too distracting?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 600 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/6.3, 1/1000, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Not much processing except cleaning up the background and a bit of burning on the brighter areas. Cropped to 5964x5298. Taken July 10 at 10:20 AM.

Hi Dennis, very pleasing image and I like the addition of the fir needles as a point of context. Great pose with the head turn towards us. Lighting looks great. Nice work.

He does look disapproving! But whatever you got caught at, it gave you a wonderful shot with great detail and light. The pine needles are a perfect touch!

Your pond shots are always so wonderful – relaxed birds in a cool and refreshing setting.