White Admiral

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

aka Limenitis arthemis arthemis gathers minerals on a sandy bank of the Somo river. It let me glide up in the kayak and beach it so I could wait for this fabulous side on pose. I’m amazed how many different things flock to the water’s edge. On this same outing I saw a couple of white tailed does find a cool spot where they could take a break from the heat and the kids. No good photos since they were pretty well hidden, but it was fun to see them search and finally relax.

I often see White Admirals in the middle of dirt roads or on the side of paved ones and I know many are lost to car grills and I cringe when I hit one. I assume its minerals they want and I was so happy to have noticed this one since I’ve never photographed one before. It is especially fresh and pristine so that’s a bonus.

Specific Feedback

It was in full sun and I did my best to manage the tonalities - what do you think and could I improve the processing here?

Technical Details

Handheld with the kayak beached on the same sand bank

Highlight weighted metering (protects those)

Lr for a different crop/aspect ratio and also work to bring out the detail and color in those lovely wings. Selective adjustments with masking and the HSL channel helped. Photoshop to remove some distracting bits on the sand.

2 Likes

Kris: Love the POV and the environment. I envy you your kayak. Excellent use of your long lens especially. Superbly crafted shot. >=))>

I like this one a lot. On top of being a beautiful butterfly, it is sharp and clear with nothing to distract from that beauty. Very nice.

Hi Kris,
amazing what you discover from your kayak. That looks great. The DOF is just perfect.
I have no suggestion. Well done!

What a beauty, Kris. I don’t think I have ever seen one of these. The down at eye level with him is a nice bonus. Real good detail throughout the BF. Well done!

That’s a superb shot of a pristine White Admiral. Getting down low often leads to a distracting horizon behind, but you have a great consistent BG here thanks to the sloping bank and your positioning. Our White Admirals in Korea are a paler orange and brown (they’re a slightly different species, Limenitis camilla). I actually prefer yours.

Thanks @Bill_Fach, @terryb, @Jens_Ober, @Shirley_Freeman & @Mike_Friel - glad this gave you a smile. A perfect specimen doesn’t come along that often and I’m glad I was on the spot for it. The shoreline had a lot of debris, but was fairly uniform.

1 Like

Wonderful capture!! My only suggestion would be to crop in tighter to show off the wonderful specimen even more. The BG is not a distraction but it is uniform and it doesn’t take much of it to tell the story. I love the sand grains!

1 Like

Thanks @diane - I did wonder at the crop and if I should go further, but didn’t want to crowd the critter since the flitter and flit all over.

Awww, thanks for the EP!