White-breasted Nuthatch

Sometimes shy and sometimes bold, but always entertaining. I’ve had them fly as soon as I approach them, and others have practically landed on me. This one played a bit of cat-and-mouse with me, circling around to the backside of the trunk until he finally presented me with an opportunity.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f/9.5, 1/1000 sec., ISO 1000. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

2 Likes

The leg position is great. They’re so quick and agile and I know what you mean about playing hide and seek with these guys. I wish it was a little sharper, but it’s charming and speaks to their energy and engagement.

1 Like

Well composed and pleasing typical body position. I have never seen one with blue plumage; only grey. So I am wondering about your white balance or is this a blue cast?

You’ve done a really good job composing this, Terry. It’s often hard to get a smooth BG with these guys. The crucial eye and bill look nice and sharp to me.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Schoen. He should be gray. I’ll recheck the color.

Thanks, @Mike_Friel . I, too thought his head looked sharp, but got softer toward his tail.

A lovely classic Nuthatch pose, Terry. This is looking about the right shade to my eye, maybe just slightly blue. Very nice work.

1 Like

Thanks, Dennis. I agree the color isn’t far off, but I think @David_Schoen has a valid observation. It may be ever-so-slightly tilting toward blue.

I love these birds! Between the call they make and their movements, it’s almost like they’re trying to put on a show! Just love the pose and the background looks so nice to really make him stand out. I agree that the eye and beak are nice and sharp. Perfect capture!

1 Like

Lovely pose, with a nice “perch” and excellent soft but nicely colored BG.

The wing does look very blue to me – maybe partly from being in the shade. If you try to correct it with white balance the rest will be off and it looks good otherwise. Maybe play with saturation of blues. Could have happened from too much Vibrance?

I think shade was at least part of the blue tint. I’ll go back and see if I can do anything with it. Thanks