White-crowned Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrows are probably one of the most accommodating birds. They’ll perch for quite a while and as long as you don’t get too close don’t seem to mind your presence. I had quite a few shots and was able to walk around trying to get as much of the bird free from the brush as possible. I did clone out a branch sticking out of its head. The background is a sand dune.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon R5; 700 mm with 1.4 extender; ISO 800. 1/1000 at f10.

Beautifully crisp plumage, Allen. On my screen, this is looking a bit bright and over saturated.

Thanks for commenting, @Dennis_Plank . I agree with your comment, but what’s odd is that the image I uploaded looks less saturated and less bright than this image on the NPN site. Not sure why.

Hi Allen, very nice look at this sparrow and one I rarely get to see here. Details look good. Image is looking bright to me too.

1 Like

I think this is a nice frame also. Details are good, but maybe a bit over sharpened. It’s a bit crispy. Colors: as others noted, pretty bright.

1 Like

Saturation, sharpening and brightness has already been covered so I’ll just say that the sand dune background is incredible. So clean and also so complimentary to the birds colors. What a great head angle and catchlight in the eyes. Sweet shot. Easy to fix the issues.

1 Like

Hi Allan, this shot reminded me of the nature guides created by Roger Tory Peterson, back in the day :laughing:. He is buried here in CT BTW. Has a certain painterly look to it; like the environmental pose a lot and enjoying the fine detail on this bird.

1 Like