White Faced Capuchin + Repost

Image Description

Tayrona National Park, Colombia

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Any

Technical Details

ISO 1600, 400mm 1/2500sec @ f/6.3

1 Like

Wow! What a great intimate photo of the capuchin…getting to look into each others eyes tells an amazing story. Great colours and details and I love how the face is framed by the twig on my left. I think the depth of field is perfect with the out-of-focus leaves in the foreground which again helps to frame the face.

I do find the monkey dark and a bit lost compared so the brightness of the green and the sky in the background distracted a bit. I like the wide crop to see the environment and I would also be curious about a more intimate crop (I thought its tail was a tree branch at first, maybe because I don’t know the animal and wasn’t looking for a tail).

A very compelling image!

2 Likes

Hi Glenn, Nice shot but I’m with Robena on this one, I think that you could gain some improvements by pulling up the exposure (or shadows) on the darkened face a little, and then possibly toning down the leaves just a bit. I think that would help to emphasise the face more.
The tighter crop would also probably help.

1 Like

Thank you @Robena.Sirett and @Ryan_H for your comments! I appreciate your feedback. I’ll work on this image some more based on your suggestions and repost.

Did a quick adjustment to the shadows and cropped in a bit closer.

1 Like

The repost looks really nice, Glenn. Such a direct gaze needs us to step closer, so to speak. Sure looks interested in you! The light is pretty nice and if you were of a mind you could take this through some sharpening software to bring up more detail in that face. I think it’s there. That said I think the leaves directly over its head are a bit eye-pulling. Taking those out and maybe eliminating the one on the far left (but not to lose the tail you did so well to include) would keep our attention where it belongs. What a special encounter. How did you like Columbia?

Hi Glenn,

This very initiate encounter through eye contact with the Capuchin is amazing!

I’m trying to imagine what a moment it must have been for you to have this connection, I can’t fully imagine it because it’s something I’ve never come close to.
Sure, I’ve had similar encounters at our local zoo but it’s not the same.

I do know these critters love to hide in the foliage so getting a peekaboo capture like this is great!

I used to have a friend that spent weeks at a time in national parks around the globe trying to get good footage and stills of animals like this and I remember him saying that he would go for days without getting a decent shot of anything, they were there he said, he could hear them but they would rarely show themselves out in the open.

There are many post processing treatments like cloning, sharpening and dodging and burning but for me, I’m just enjoying this as presented because it takes me back to my time with my friend and his descriptions of his adventures (and video footage he shared with me).
To me, the “as presented” image tells the story of him or her wanting to investigate you, but doing it while behind the cover of foliage for safety.

Bottom line is what you feel best represents the memory for you. :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing this moment!

Thank you for your comments Kristen! I agree with you on trying to get more detail in the face. I did do some sharpening there but I’ll see if I can take it a bit further.
I really enjoyed Colombia! We spent a couple nights in Medellin which was amazing! So much history, great food and it was so green! Then spent a few nights in Tayrona NP which was also really fun. Lots of hiking and looking for wildlife. Then spent 8 nights in Cartagena for my wife’s conference. Didn’t like Cartagena much but still enjoyed the experience with our friends and ate a lot of delicious food.

Thank you Mervin! I usually shoot landscapes so anytime I get to see wildlife let alone try to take photos of wildlife it is very exciting for me. I got really lucky here because most of the time while we were in the park the wildlife was too far away to get a decent photo but on this hike a troop of capuchins came across our path and stayed for about 5-10 minutes, the trees weren’t too tall either so the capuchins were pretty close.

I am very happy for you, it’s great to hear when people get to experience something like this!
I must admit that I’m just a tiny bit jealous but hearing your story and seeing your image far outweighs that emotion :slight_smile:

Maybe someday I’ll get to experience something similar, I’m not gone yet :smiley:

I’m late to party, as I have been travelling a lot.
I’m pleased that you have got some great ideas and yess, repost looks much better.

Thanks @JRajput! I appreciate your feedback