White-faced Ibis, High-Key Background + REDO

Redo 2:

Redo:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I had an amazing time in Texas last week. I followed this white-faced ibis around a boardwalk area at Shoveler’s Pond in Anahuac NWR for a half hour. There were so many beautiful wading and shorebirds but this one really stood out with the iridescent feathers.

Specific Feedback

The background was basically almost white - it was a few hours after sunrise on a completely overcast day. I lightened the background and desaturated the plants a little to make the bird stand out. I’m not sure if that was the right approach, any suggestions welcome.

Technical Details

Fuji X-H2S, 1/3200s, f/10, ISO 6400, 377mm on XF 150-600 lens

4 Likes

Hi Debbie, love seeing the beautiful feathers on this bird with good sharpness throughout including both outer wings and the eye too. Really nice pose on the bird. The high key works for me. I’m wondering about more space below and also a tad on top and right. A very pleasing capture either way. TFS!

1 Like

Debbie. I love the high key BG in this. Definitely a good choice. Those iridescent feathers and detail in the ibis are wonderful. I can see you giving it a bit more space top and bottom as suggested by Allen. I can’t wait. My wife and I are headed to South Texas at the end of April.

1 Like

Hey - looking good here! What a great presentation of all the feathers and colors - I’ve never seen one of these so it’s special. In addition to the room mentioned by the gents, I was immediately struck by the shadows seeming a trifle high - I’d expect to see a bit richer blacks here, but that’s a matter of taste. Sharpness and detail look excellent.

1 Like

Way Cool image and bird!
This is where birds turn into living art
Love it
Steve

1 Like

@Allen_Sparks There was a lot of darker vegetation below, that’s why I cropped it here, but I’ll take another look. Thanks!

@Ed_Williams Thank you! I’ll try a recrop.

@Kris_Smith Thanks! I adjusted it a bit.

@Steve_Rosendahl Thank you so much!

Beautiful image, Debbie. The repost brings it up even another notch. To my eye the greens in the background are close enough to “neon” that they tend to grab my attention. I could see putting a white layer under the background and lowering the opacity of it to bring those down even more (probably a dozen ways to accomplish that).

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank I desaturated the background a bit and put a white layer under it and then reduced the opacity too. Redo #2 posted.

That is stunning Debbie! I have never seen an Ibis like that what an amazing bird. Great shot! :clap:

1 Like

@Saundie Thank you so much! I’d never seen this type of ibis either.

That definitely works for me, Debbie. I hope you liked the change as well.

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank I do, thanks for the suggestion!

Very interesting position, shows good action. Colors and sharpness add to a very well taken image.

1 Like

@John_Tobias Thank you!

I actually like all three versions. The original almost looks like a watercolor painting because it has more color than the other two versions. You caught him in great breeding plumage. I love the iridescence you captured and I love the high key look to this image. Like the others have stated, I think it could use a little more breathing room but other than that, I can’t see how to make this any better.

1 Like

@David_Haynes I think you’re right about the watercolor look and for that reason, of the three my favorite is #2 (more room but brighter background colors).