White-throated Sparrow and re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of my nemesis birds. They frequent where I live, but I rarely see them, let alone get a photograph, so I was pretty pleased that this guy hung around for a few seconds.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 Tx at 700 mm; 1/1000 at f10, -1/3 EV; ISO 6400

1 Like

Nice pose and perch, Allen. On my monitor it looks as if the whites on our right of the head are blown-don’t know if you can recover them, but it’s worth a try.

1 Like

Hi Allen. I like th pose as well. Good eye contact. I agree with Dennis about the whites. The other thing I am seeing is some posterization in the BG. Mostly at the top. Did you use a NR program? Sometimes I see it when that is part of the PP process.

1 Like

Hi Allen
The framing of this head on shot, works form me. The branch leads my eye right up to the White-throated Sparrow. Eye contact is nice and the feather detail and coloring are good. I agree with Dennis about the right side of the Sparrow’s head.
Peter

1 Like

Thanks @Dennis_Plank , @Kurt_Bowman , and @peter , for comments and advice. Always helps to have extra eyes. Here’s a re-post- slightly different as I started from the beginning more or less. The blown out whites were the result of the processing and not the camera exposure. Not sure what caused the BG issue, but tired to fix it.

Hi Allen, I like the diagonal perch with lichen and the straight on look of the bird is nice which seems to give a serious expression. Repost looks good. I notice some noise on the lower part of the bird in the largest image size but that may be expected since it’s a big file size for viewing. Nice frame.

1 Like

Very good job on the repost, Allen.

1 Like

I like the repost too. Nice work

1 Like