White-throated Sparrow at Evening Sunset

This is a handheld shot in the evening sunset, Tall Timbers, Maryland. Used fast shutter speed to compensate for hand-held movement.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5ds-r at f-16, 1/1000 sec and iso 1600 using my 100x400x1.4 lens.

elwise44

I like the light and the pose a lot, Wayne. It looks like the focus and depth of field were excellent, but the feather detail isn’t coming through properly. Some areas have sharp detail and others have little. Sometimes the Topaz AI programs seem to produce this effect and I’ve also seen it using other Noise Reductions and Sharpening software in combination.

Thanks Dennis, I’ll step down on Topaz because this seems to be an ongoing problem with my editing.
Wayne

Topaz Denoise AI (the latest version) is excellent. Just view the results at 100% and compare the different modes and adjust the noise and sharpen sliders as needed, but Auto is usually excellent. You need a well-focused image to start with, and enough pixels on the subject – a huge crop at high ISO limits what can be done. It is rarely necessary to do a separate sharpening step, certainly not for the image sizes that would be posted online.

For handholding, you might try shooting a burst at a lower ss and ISO – one frame out of a burst of 5-10 will often be sharper.

Thanks Diane, appreciate your suggestions. Most of my photos are of small birds with heavy cropping . As you suggest, I need to remember to balance my ISO and try the lower SS and ISO and hopefully produce better results. Thanks again,
Wayne