Who Spilled the Paint?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a composite of two ICM images - one of scattered lichens on rock and one of branches. Changed the hues significantly because I decided it should be surreal.

Specific Feedback

I’m looking for any thoughts on this. I like the idea, but the execution isn’t quite up to snuff I think. Parts look muddy, especially the gray shadows. Any suggestions welcome.

Technical Details

a7, 35 mm, 1/4s, f/16, ISO 50 (probably the lichens); the other one is probably similar. Hand held, moving the camera up with a slight circular motion to get those curvy lines.

2 Likes

Bonnie, a definite headscratcher of an image which to me makes it a compelling abstract image! I quite like the layers of color and the lines from the branches look like spilled paint. The swirl patterns add enough interest. Nice work to combine two ICM images like this.

I see what you mean about the gray shadows. You could try moving the black point down. That would help add more contrast and separate out the tones.

1 Like

Thanks, Alfredo. Yes, I could bring down the black point, but then it looks too contrasty for my taste. Oh well, NBD, this one probably will never work.

I’m glad to see your work again, Bonnie!

Thanks, @Don_Peters. But don’t judge me by this one. :rofl: