Wide Open Closeup - ID needed

I’m continuing to experiment with shooting at f/2, handheld. I went to a wildlife preserve yesterday and had a great time shooting closeups wide open. It seems to offer a new perspective for me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated. ID definitely appreciated.

Technical Details

Fujifilm GFX 100, GF 110 f/2, 1/1000 sec @ f/2, ISO 500, handheld. Might have had an extension tube on too…

1 Like

Very nice, with very pleasing DOF and composition against a nice BG!! Not a plant I’m familiar with but Picture This says it is Oregon Checkerbloom, Sidalcea oregana. It is absolutely uncanny at IDs.

1 Like

I like doing this sometimes - imposing a limit on my shooting. It works nicely here with that one little bit in focus and not much else. Very soft and delicate which the flower is as well. Looks like a difficult flower to photograph in many respects so it’s nice to see someone try!

David, I really like this one. We all need to do more of this when possible. When I first saw this it gave me recall to a specific Soft Focus lens I have used at times. This softness especially with floral items can make for a very unique perspective… :+1:

1 Like

@Diane_Miller, @Kris_Smith, and @Paul_Breitkreuz thank you for the nice comments. I used to do this kind of photography back in the Canon days with their 85mm f/1.2 and extension tubes. I actually prefer that to a true macro lens mainly because of the wonderful bokeh. Canon’s 85mm and Fujifilm’s 110mm are both designed as portrait lenses, but no reason you can’t take portraits of flowers with them.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

The shallow DOF works well in this composition. I also like the movement of dark to light going diaghonally up from the lower lh corner of the frame. The flower might be white checkermallow…Jim

1 Like

@Jim_Zablotny thank you for the nice comments. I appreciate the ID and the comments from a flora expert.

Cheers,
David

…and now I’ll take the exact opposite tack from the comment I just posted on your next image and say the single plane of focus works very well to my eye here. I think the difference is the way that one central section is in sharp focus; it is a beautiful place for the eye to land and the OOF other areas help to accentuate that beauty. Well done!