Fun take on a Daisy

Shooting wide open on a lens sometimes gives you a very different image, like this one. A lot of the time, wide open doesn’t work at all…Anyway, here’s another flower shot at f/2, which is approximately f/1.7 on a full frame camera.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Fujifilm GFX 100, GF 110mm f/2, 1/3000 sec @ f/2, ISO 500, extension tube, handlheld.

1 Like

This works. We all know what daisies look like so a small slice of one leaves our imaginations to fill in which we can do just fine. I think if you raise the highlights a little you might have an even better image - crisper with a little more life.

Amazing how thin the in-focus slice is. I just commented on Kristen’s recent post, and noted that for some reason my brain is much more forgiving of the behind the in-focus portion than it is for areas of the image in front . However, it would be interesting to compare an image where all of the central yellow was in focus.

It is fun to just run around and experiment with a short DOF, trying to find the most interesting part to have in focus and then try to achieve a pleasent blur in all other parts of the image and finding colors and smooth patterns that complement well with the sharp part. I think your image works very well, but at the same time agree with the comments given by Kris and John.

1 Like

This is a fun shot David. That is a seriously thin slice of DOF. I love the water droplets and the OOF background. I would love to see a version with the focus point being slightly more towards the center of the yellow daisy just for the sake of comparison but I have to say that think this works pretty dang well as is. It’s always interesting to see how these types of images come out because when in the filed, it’s hard to tell. Fun!!!

1 Like