Wilsons Promontory Sunset

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was taken recently during a sunset in the beautiful Wilsons Promontory National Park in Australia. I attempted to capture the ripples in the water moving towards the dramatic cloud formation in the middle of the image to create a sense of movement and scale in the image.

Specific Feedback

All feedback is greatly appreciated, including feedback on the composition and aesthetic/emotional appeal of the image (if any). I am unsure if I should crop in further, as the left side of the image does feel somewhat empty, so any feedback on editing that could be done would also be appreciated :slight_smile:

Technical Details

ISO 100
24mm full frame
f/22
1/50

That’s a beautiful scene Keenan. The pattern of these gentle ripples in the foreground is

Overall it seems like a nice representaion of the scene. It shows the ripples as you said, and the sunset.

I think that as it is, it does show everything you wanted, but it takes some effort from the viewer to note these ripples and how beautiful they are. And they are the real subject of this image - meaning this is what caused you to take that image (as I understand from what you wrote). So one thing I might try on location is to find a composition that puts more emphasis on the ripples. Not saying it’s easy… but for instance - maybe tilt the camera down a bit to show less sky, more ripples, and start experimenting. You’ve chosen a symmetrical composition which shows the reflection vs. the sky - but you can also try to work with less symmetry, using the reflection to show the viewer what’s going on in the sky.

It’s a wonderful scene you found, probably took some patient observation!

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback! That’s a great point about symmetry and I think a composition focusing on the ripples could work much better. I’m going to try revisit this area soon, so hopefully I have similar conditions.

Thanks again!