Wilson's Warbler

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Definitely a shot with its pluses and minuses. Not a bird I’ve photographed often, so that’s a plus and I like the head turn and singing pose and I like the perch. On the minus side it doesn’t stand up to the enlarged version. There was some foliage in the foreground that blurs parts of the bird and the high ISO and subsequent noise reduction caused some issues around the head.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 extender at 700 mm. 1/1000 at f10, +1/3EV; ISO 12,800.

Hi Allen, catching these tiny warblers is so difficult! Love the pose and the surroundings in this image as well as the perch. I can see what you mean about image quality on the bird in the larger image but I really had to look for it! Overall I think this is a fine shot. I could see perhaps toning down the yellow a tad on the bird but that is minor. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Hi Allen,

Just tweak down the yellow and maybe the greens slightly as my only suggested edits. Pose and comp are very nice. Well done…Jim

1 Like

While the largest version does show considerable noise, the detail still comes through pretty well, Allen. I do agree with bringing down the yellows a trifle.

1 Like