Winter Black-bellied Plover

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I am wondering if I have over sharpened. I processed in LR and exported using sharpening for Screen and Standard level.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Photo is cropped vertical to a 4 x 5 with a bit off both top and bottom and sides.
5D4, 700mm, f/6.3, 1/640, ISO 1600.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David, no this doesn’t look oversharpened to me. If it’s not against your ethics, I do think that the stick pointing towards the bird right in front of its beak and also the hay that goes across on the left could be cloned out. I would also consider making it into a square crop as the bottom 1/3 of the habitat doesn’t do much to the image in my opinion.

Thanks Adhika, I am glad to hear it does not look over sharpened. No it is not against my ethics to clone out the stick ( steel drift pin) but I am just trying to include the surrounding environment in my shots. So it is good to get feed back. And thanks for comment about lower third. It was a last minute decision to post this version of the event. I have others with less of the bottom but more of the side.

This is a well composed environmental and behavioral image. Certainly not oversharp. Adhika made some good crop and clone suggestions. I would also remove the one green OOF blade of grass in the foreground to keep all the grasses in focus. You could also throw a mild vignette in to highlight the Plover.

I like this, David. It doesn’t look oversharpened to me-just about right. I do which that stick in front of the bill hadn’t been there, but I don’t find it overly distracting.

Interesting shot, never seen a BB Plover off the ground (except while flying of course :wink: ). Sharpness looks good to me. Nice image overall ! Cheers, Hans

Thanks Everyone for your comments. They are much appreciated. And good catch David on that blade of grass. I had not noticed it.