Winter Dusk on the Hawlings River

After a week with very little sunshine, yesterday afternoon with bright sun and scattered clouds was a good day for a walk in the woods. I also hoped to get a fine sunset. I ended the day sitting beside the Hawlings River (Maryland’s smallest river), listening to the water and enjoying the quiet as the day ended. While the sunset was not spectacular is was quietly inviting, which fit well with the woods and the river.

5D3, 24-105 F4 IS II @ 24mm, 6.0 s, f/16, iso 100, tripod, cable release and 4 stop ND

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I am really enjoying the water texture and the leading lines in this image. The leafless trees add another pleasing element of contrast. And the minimal levels of the sunset color are perfect to create the serene mood. Doesn’t look like Wyoming.

Mark, an excellent low light photo. The use of the ND gave tremendous support to a well exposed scene in failing evening light. The soft lighting on the MG river and the soft water flow works very nicely here…:sunglasses:
The only minor thought for change was a very slight RH swing in the framing to include a pinch more of river bank in MG. Not a nit just another POV on the scene…:thinking:

Mark,

Great job utilizing the river and color in the sky to make a strong photograph. I really like the silkiness of the river and the soft colors being reflected. Also, in the larger view it’s very cool how the river meanders deep in to the scene giving this excellent depth.

I would think it would be so difficult crafting images from dense forests like this in the leafless winter with no snow, etc., yet you’ve extracted a lovely scene.

Lon

The large view is particularly nice as it showcases the river while drawing the viewer into the scene, Mark. I also like the subdued winter light and the four stop ND filter did a wonderful job on the water. I do like Paul’s suggestion of just a bit more swing of the camera to the right, but it certainly is not a deal breaker. This has a serene mood which I find very inviting.