Winter Evening on the River

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken back in 2010, a lone mallard rests near a river sandbank as the sun sets.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

D90 + 150-500mm (@500mm) 1/123 f6.3 ISO 1600

2 Likes

What an exciting composition! How did you get the bird to sit that close to the point of land? That mallard makes the composition. How did you process this? I see a slight suggestion of color.

1 Like

Mike, the very limited colors (and, of course, the duck) make for a very stylistic and enticing view.

1 Like

The tonality is just gorgeous as are the shapes. Nice work.

1 Like

If I didn’t know that this was a photograph, I would have thought that it is a graphite pencil drawing. I just love how the gently waving line of the shore meets the most luminous, yet also gentle, part of the water. The duck is perfectly positioned and the water is so calm that its reflection is a perfect mirror-image! The stillness is absolutely captivating. A beautiful, artistic, sophisticated image infused with superb mood. Really like it!

1 Like

Thanks @Barbara_Djordjevic. It was so long ago that I forget the details of processing; but I probably just adjusted Shadows, Highlights and Curves in PS Elements. I do remember I liked the muted twilight colors and tried to reproduce them as faithfully as I could. It doesn’t look the same in B and W.

Thank you @Mark_Seaver @JohnSnell and @LauraEmerson for your kind comments. That part of our local river very often looks peaceful, but especially in the evening after a sunny winter day. And the sandbanks are ever-changing.

1 Like

Thank you for the EP.

Great composition! The land helps guide the eye, and the solitary duck is perfect.

1 Like