Winter, Sandy Bay, Hong Kong

This was taken at sunset - sun setting on the left giving some very strong highlights which I had to control to retain details.
Sandy Bay is a little known location, favoured by people sneaking a swim during lockdown, a little quiet, fishermen and domestic helpers on their day off.
I like the location because it always different - incoming tide rearranges pebbles every day(pebbles not visible in this image) and large container ships, junks, pilot boats, etc pass offshore silhouetted against the setting sun.
And I can catch the number 10 minivan from my door to the Bay. Easy!

Specific Feedback Requested

My major concern is the composition - I have looked at ti so much that I no longer trust my own judgement/feeling.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Camera: Fujifilm XT30
Focal Length:19.6mm
Lens: XF 18-55mm F2.8 - 4 R LM OIS
Shutter: 1/480
Aperture: f9
ISO: 5000
Handheld.
Post entirely in Lightroom, converted to B&W from Raw.

I like your processing, great subject for B&W. The light subject on dark background approach works well here, but you also maintained some interesting details and texture in the dark background rocks. The rocks have a lot of character in them, and your B&W processing has really brought that out.

I think the composition works in terms of how the rocks are arranged. The thing that does feel a bit uncomfortable to me in the composition is the tree. The rock shelf creates a very strong horizontal line in the image. But I think the vertical lines of the upper tree limbs don’t feel harmonious with the strong horizontal line of the rock. And those vertical lines also lead the viewers eye out of the frame. This combination of horizontal and vertical lines creates some discomfort for me. I suppose a crop away from the top, combined with burning the vertical lines near the frame edge might help reduce that feeling.

1 Like

Ed - thanks, these are good and helpful points.

I like the bold ruggedness of this Philip. It is very chaotic overall, so the discordant lines don’t trouble me too much.

John, I appreciate your feedback, Thank You