Winter Wonderland

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I just finished the edit of this photo and am looking for overall impressions. Does it seem to over-processed? Let me know your thoughts or ideas of how it can be improved.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I edited this using Adobe Photoshop CC, Nik Color Effects 4, and luminosity masks.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@traboldphotography

1 Like

Mathew, I think you did a great job post processing this beautiful photo. Up for discussion, as always, is how dark should the sky be? There is a school of thought that the sky shouldn’t ever be darker than the land, since under most circumstances that is physically impossible. I think with snow all bets are off, and at best it’s an interesting argument and there is no right or wrong answer, since we are dealing with artistic photography. My own personal preference would be to tone down the blue sky a bit, like so. I also removed some of the blue color cast in the snow. These changes are just little nits…it’s a fabulous photo as is.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the feedback! I agree that determining the right level of blue is a bit tricky.

Hi @wisemufin , is a good image in my opinion. Not overprocessed, I see a very natural light. Regarding composition probably the trees on the left side get the attention away from the subject (the mountain and the cloud on the right for me). I don’t know if is correct what I think for this kind of scene. Thank you for sharing.

This is a nice image Matthew. Like @Tony_Siciliano, my primary comment is that the blue in the sky is too dark and saturated. Other than that, this image is not over-processed. In fat I think you did a good job controlling highlights in the snow, and avoided burning them out.

In terms of determining the right level of blue in skies, my advice would be observe and study your real world skies the next few times you go out shooting. Evaluate their luminosity and saturation relative to the landscape, blue skies in real life are usually lighter in tone, and not that saturated. When we process images, sometimes its easy to get tunnel vision and make incremental changes that take the end result further than needed. sometimes referring back to the unprocessed raw file while processing the image can help you keep a better sense of perspective.