Winters Light 2

Being new to landscape photography I have never photographed a “series” or done a “project”. I am thinking of trying to put together a series on maybe winter light, not sure. I was attracted to this scene by the shadow effects of the trees and branches but also the shadow effects from the small snow ridges themselves which in a way appear almost back-lighted in some areas

Specific Feedback Requested

Some may think it is underexposed but I wanted to highlight the subtle light effects…thoughts?
Composition and processing in general.

Also any thoughts for a newbie on doing a project/series appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony Alpha III Sony 4 70-200 @70, f/22, 1/40, iso 100

I prefer this to your previous one. Although it’s a bit melodramatic (I should talk). Once you see it then that dark leaf in the center really starts to stand out. Is that a bad thing (it’s pure black)? Not necessarily.

This image reminds me of some of the films made in the 30s/40s. The Soviets were big into b&w dramatic shots using shadows as well. Yes, this ranks above your previous image in my opinion. You might burn down the sunlit area on the left so that it’s not brighter than the central ones.

The exposure works fine for me; I think it works as intended. @Igor_Doncov 's comment rings a bell about those old Soviet photos; that description really fits. In that spirit the rough and dirty snow fits, but I suspect I would like this much better after a fresh snowfall with a clean and smooth snow texture.

Thank for the feedback @Igor_Doncov @John_Williams . Ill have to research these Soviet photographers! BTW the snow is actually clean, it is the shadows from the small ridges in the snow that give it that appearance.

Check out the Eisenstein films made in the 30’s. It wasn’t just popular with them. Here’s Orson Well’s Third Man using shadows to full effect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r9yyDEDGlr0

Interesting use of the shadows, thanks for sharing that Igor.