Winter's Tears

Taken last year. The local lake in the town I was living in had began to melt. All the water fowl had gathered in a small area of open water and I followed. Unfortunately, the sound of a slamming car door from a near by parking lot send them all off. I wander the shore and soon found myself on my knees in the frozen sand with my macro lens.

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Canon EOS 6D Mark II
Sigma 105mm
ISO 100 105mm f/7.1 1/640 sec

Lightroom

2 Likes

Hi Leon,

I really like this, from the highlights on the ridges of the floor to the reflection of the ice cap in the water and the texture and patterns in the ice.
The colors and tonal range is excellent in my opinion, it almost looks like a sepia image from days gone by.

Very nice! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice. Love the complementary shapes of ice and sand. Have you tried opening up the sand just a tad? Also MANY thanks for the reminder that we rarely have to slam the door on finding a good photo, even if it is in a different place that we had been expecting it.

1 Like

This is a very cool image, Leon. All the contrast and colors are spot on. I agree with @Merv about it having a sepia look. The ice is stunning with that little bit of reflection and the different size, shape and direction of the ripples adds so much interest. Excellent!!

2 Likes

Oh I like this, Leon! Very nice. So much for my eyes to feast on.

2 Likes

Hi Leon, I’m glad you were able to adapt to the conditions. Wonderful patterns and details in your image. I especially like the frozen water droplets. The upper right is a bit out of focus. Perhaps a square crop or a 4x5 crop would help focus the eye on the center portion which I find the most interesting. Awesome find and work!

Leon, you’ve got a fine collection of frozen “drips” that are set off very well by all of the bright, warm ripple structure on the bottom of the pond.