Wood duck drake trying to hide

I saw this guy in a marsh area at the edge of a forest while I was driving. He and his mate are very shy so I waited for a bit and he started to come out but kept going back in to hide.
I cropped this down to about 70 percent to remove a lot of distracting branches etc. Any feedback especially to help me improve is welcome.
Canon 6dmkii
Iso 6400
Shutter 1/1250
aperture F6.3
Sigma 150-600C at 600 from my car with beanbag support.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A nice look at the duck in its woody environment. I like how the duck is framed by the trees. A little noisy, but not bad for 6400.

1 Like

The quality held up well to the crop. Sometimes these ducks are tough to get out in the open unless you have sometime to wait them out. You did well to get the male out in the open and have some framing around him. I might have cropped a bit different by staying vertical but removing about two thirds of the oof bottom and adding equivalent amount to top. You can also play around a bit in post processing by lowering exposure on whole image and then selecting the duck and bringing that exposure back up.
Nice photo.

1 Like

Thank you David, I will give that a try.

Thanks Allen, I appreciate your comments. I have a lot to learn.

This turned out really well for iso 6400 Brian. Good head turn and sharpness. I would crop some from the bottom to about where the large branch which goes to the right starts to emerge from the water. Nice work!

Thankyou Nate. I will give it a try.