Y. brevifolia

I was wandering around after taking photos at sunrise in Joshua Tree NP when this Joshua Tree branch stood out to me. I liked the patterns the light created.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any comments are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

1/20 sec at f/16, ISO 64
200mm (70-200mm f/4)
Nikon D850 on tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram

@sigfridozimmermann

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the idea and i think this is a solid base for another tweaking. I am not an expert,but i believe most of this kind of shots work a lot with separation of darker and ligjter tones/color so the structure. Important areas stand out only and the others serve as “negative space” . I hope some more skilled shooter will provide “better” ideas, because I might not be clear/precise enough.

1 Like

Sigfriedo, this is a fine looking graphic. Your square crop and very slightly off center placement works very well. I think you’ve set the contrast well. You could bump the contrast, but that would make this more stark where I this as dramatic and inviting as presented. Those kind of choices are the fundamentals of developing a personal style.

1 Like

I like the composition, Sigfrido. Very well seen and this is perfect light, too, to accentuate all those leaves. As for critiques, I think the image can go a little brighter and I think it can use some sharpening, too.

1 Like

Striking lines and nice light! The leaves away from the center and in the back are getting soft, but it doesn’t bother me so much in this composition. The center maybe could use some extra sharpness as Adhika wrote. I would maybe play with a soft vignette and contrasts to emphasize the lines and locations where the light is hitting.

1 Like

The light and patterns are really interesting, great vision on your part to extract this abstract from the landscape. The softness in the back doesn’t bother me. As presented I think this image works pretty well.

@Stefan-Condik raises an interesting point about trying to create more separation of darker and lighter tones to enhance contrast and structure. The uniform color of the Joshua Tree branches makes it hard to achieve color contrast, and simply adding more contrast risks creating a harsh look. I offer up a second possibility for this image, B&W can be very effective at creating tonal separation, especially in uniform colored subjects. I did this conversion quick and dirty, with more time I might try to tame some of the highlights better.

1 Like

Before reading any comments, I was thinking B&W to really pull out the various tones and abstract shapes. Then I saw Ed’s version and it totally works for me. It still works well in color, but to my eye, the B&W moves it to another level. Good stuff.

1 Like

Sigfrido,

These views are fun! This is well seen and captured. The light is just right and I really like how the shadows are lining up; the angles are nice.

No nits or suggestions other than I’m thinking this might be cool in b&w.

Lon

1 Like

@Adhika_Lie and @Ron_Jansen I like the idea of sharpening the center of the image. I purposefully left the edges and background soft so there can be some depth to the image.

@Ed_McGuirk your B&W conversion is very beautiful! I really like how the tones are separated more.

Thank you all for your time and comments!

Digging the B&W that @Ed_McGuirk uploaded here!