Yellow Rumped Warbler

Taken a day or two ago. Cropped to about a 70% vertical from a horizontal. Probably cropped a bit tighter than I liked but I got rid of some branches and leaves.
5DIV, 700mm, 1/800, ISO 400, 1/6.3

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A nice look at this little guy, David. I like the way the berries are over his head, kind of framing him in.

Very nice detail and pose. I like the composition and the berries are a nice bonus.

Gorgeous pose, perch and BG! The berries are such a nice touch! Your ethics may be different, I can never leave well enough alone, so if it were mine I’d do a partial opacity clone over the dark area in the LR and the brown in the LL. I’d also remove the more prominent OOF branch in the UL. Then I’d tackle the branch exiting the right side near the top. The other one near it might also be a target after all that, but it would be trickier with the color and tonal variation behind it. This degree of simplification would make the lovely little bird and his perch jump out at the viewer.

Thanks @Allen_Brooks, @Shirley_Freeman and @Diane_Miller. It is not an ethical issue for me. Nothing documentary just an attempt to make a nice image of a bird in habitat. Here is my quick attempt at Diane’s suggestions. I did not really like taking out the very tip of the branch and I am not sure why Iwould.

For me, this brings the bird so much more as the center of interest with less (admittedly minor) distractions and makes the BG even more magical.

Nice light, pose, head turn, and detail. The color in the berries adds to the pleasing comp.

It was a great shot already, David, but I believe the changes you made improved it even more.

Hi David
I am going with Shirley’s comments. Keep up the good work.
Peter