Yellowstone Lake Colors

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The color changes as the hot springs of West Thumb give way to the cold depths of Yellowstone Lake are delightful. Having a wind rippling the lake adds a good level of abstraction to the view.

Technical Details

R5, 24-105 @ 91, 1/160 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod

1 Like

Mark, I like this a lot. The layers of colors and the texture of the ripples are really neat.

Great layers and colors here Mark. Nicely seen and recorded. The ripples also add to the image as an additional focal point. It might be interesting to see how rotating the image 90 degrees counterclockwise will change the perspective and impression of the image. The blue up seems a bit punchy to me but seeing how you wanted this to be an abstract, it works fine as well.

This is really nice, Mark. The only thing I might suggest is to tone down the “crunchiness” of the texture a bit. I love the larger ripples and the colors progression is very nice.
P.S. My wife peeked over my shoulder and she loved it.

The textures are wonderful! Nice gradation of colors. I wish there had been some color when I was there. I wonder what it might look like rotated 180 degrees?

This is so nice, Mark! I love the textures and the bands of colour and I would change a thing.

Mark,

This is wonderful! Beautifully seen and recognized. A great case for the faster shutter speed to stop motion, rather than enhancing motion. The layers of colors are beautiful too.

Speaking of the colors, my thought might be to eliminate the blue up top. I know that removes one of the colors and layers, but the benefit I think is that the abstractness is increased. The blue ripples up top clearly says this is a lake - or body of water. Without the blue, maybe not so much.
With that, a square crop without the blue up top could be a nice alternative view, but not necessarily a better one.

Lon