Yosemite Village Post Office

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Made from Yosemite Village Post Office Lower Falls spring thaw.

Specific Feedback

How to make the tree stand out.
Thanks

Technical Details

3 Likes

This has so much power in it Steve. I love the curtains of water behind the tree. I’m not sure the tree really needs to stand out more, as the water is the main attraction for me. I think the tree might stand out a bit more if you cropped a very small slice off of the right hand side though.

1 Like

I agree with Ed, a powerful image! Also, bringing the crop in on the right-hand side, I feel, will balance the image slightly better and give more emphasis to the texture of the water. Nice work, Steve!

Powerful image. Perfect SS to capture the falls. I’m not much of a processing expert. So don’t know how to make the tree stand out better than getting it right in original capture. Maybe moving downhill a little so the tree is not framed against the BG boulder. I would crop the right to remove the clipped shadows and dodge the FG a little.

Perfection.

I like @Michael_Lowe’s rework. The original image feels too heavy for my taste, almost macabre. It’s hard not to be influenced by Ansel Adams work on this subject.

I also feel that there is too much foreground for this subject. Maybe that’s debatable. I took a stab at it starting with Michael’s rework. It’s just an idea. The bright area to the left of the tree may need some burning.

1 Like

@Steve_Rosendahl You have some great feedback here already. I think the suggestions from @Michael_Lowe hit the nail on the head. @Saundie and @Igor_Doncov have some good ideas about the crop. Shutter speed is just perfect though! Really nice.

Thanks for the lesson Steve – waterfall landscapes need context to ensure the viewer appreciates the scale, and the tree provides it here. I’ve pointed my camera at a lot of waterfalls with context as framing, but the silhouette here is a better composition.