You still there?

I got knees down in the sand for this shot. I usually see these little peeps in small flocks of 8-12 scurrying at the waterline and seeing what the waves have brought them. I watched this cautious single Sanderling for about 15 minutes. It would hunker down in the algae/weed balls finding a small morsel here and there and then come out and give me a blank stare as if to make sure I was keeping a proper social distance.

Specific Feedback Requested

I processed a second image with a darker tone to the sand and still not sure this lighter one plays any better. Too much negative space? It all beach sand. Kind of wished I used a smaller aperture for more sand texture throughout .

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Nikon D7100, Nikkor Lens 200-500 @500 mm, w/ 1.4 crop factor f7.1 @1/4000, ISO-1250, handheld

1 Like

I really like the crisp focus and the light and color. You could shift the focus to the foreground for a little more immediacy. The ball of wrack is interesting from a behavior and lifestyle perspective. I’ve never spent time with these little guys and I like seeing this one. Nice work.

Hi Stephen
I like the breathing room you gave the Sanderling. The low angle makes the shot. I find I can get down low to photograph these shore bird, the problems comes with getting up.
Nice work.
Peter

A well composed and pleasing shot of this Sanderling. I like composition because of the room around the bird. Excellent color and detail.

@Kris_Smith @David_Schoen @peter Thanks for your comments, appreciated . Yes Peter I am slower getting up these days. :slightly_smiling_face:

A beautiful Sanderling image, Stephen. I like the ball of whatever beside it as it feels like it adds scale to the image. Well done.