Yummie time

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

As happy as I was with the dipper perching next to me on the floating jetty, I wanted the bird in the water, as that’s what they’re known for. So, yesterday morning, I decided to give it another go. This time with some sunlight. After the 20 minute search I found the bird and positioned myself on the waters’ edge. The bird was busy going underwater searching for little snacks.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 with 500mm f4 | 1/2500s | f5 | ISO900 | underexposed 2/3EV | camera resting on my hand while lying on the ground. I cropped this image more than I would normally do - but wanted to make the little snail (?) visible

1 Like

As usual a great low angle with a creamy foreground and background. Good eye contact and its food is a nice bonus. I like the water movement in front of the dipper.

Hi Hans, Love your dipper shots! Love the low angle and the critical focus is right where it should be - sharp eye, beak, and prey. The water drops add to the sense of action in this shot. Well done.

Not many action shots are cute, but this one is. Great moment and it certainly tells the story of these aquatic birds. I’m not sure I’ve seen these much, but I think North America has them as well. Poor little snail, but such is nature.

Looks more like a shrimp or cousin tome, but I’m sure you blew it up larger. A beautiful image that also tells a nice natural history story. Our version of the Dipper is particularly fond of caddis fly larvae which encase themselves in tubes of tiny little rocks. Extraction is an interesting thing to observe.

Holee Cow!! The DOF/focal plane with the face/bill and the water droplets, the droplets frozen in time, the water and reflection, the disturbed water in front of the bird – what have I left out?? Oh, the light and the BG… Completely wonderful!!! 11/10!

What a terrific image. Love the low angle, shallow DOF, etc. Everything everyone else said. Awesome.

Thanks all!
@Dennis_Plank : you’re probably right, it looks more ‘shrimpish’ indeed.
@Kris_Smith : yep, but the N-A Dipper lacks the white throat and is more grayish, same entertaining behavior though :slight_smile: !