White-throated Dipper

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a subspecies of the White-throated Dipper (‘black-bellied’), which is a rarity in our part of Europe. The location was not that interesting, but while I was lying on a floating jetty, watching the bird feeding, it was chased away by a Coot and dropped next to me on the jetty, where it stayed preening for a couple of minutes. I never had a dipper this close, and despite the lack of light I had a pleasant and intimate shoot with this bird :slight_smile:
As the water was quite choppy, the floating jetty was moving up and down as well, making it hard to shoot the bird feeding along the opposite bank. But when it sat next to me on the jetty, the moving didn’t matter anymore as we were moving up and down at the same speed LOL

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 with 500mm f4 | 1/1600s | f4 | ISO 1800 | underexposed 1/3EV | camera lying on the jetty.

1 Like

Hans, what a gorgeous image! The light alone is simply stunning. I especially like the shadow coming toward the front of the frame from the bird’s feet and the color gradation from lower left to upper right . The soft background plays well against the incredible detail you’ve captured in the bird. I find it hard to make any suggestions for improvement except that there is one tiny white fleck near where the tail feathers join the body that catches my eye. Kudos!

1 Like

Simply wonderful!! Great detail and tonalities. I love how the perch disappears, and the hint of warmth in the BG. The only missing element is a catchlight, but sometimes we can’t have everything.

1 Like

Nic e details captured in this close up and I love the open beak showing the tongue. I’ve never seen a dipper (either over here or there) so this is a real treat. While there is no pronounced catchlight, I do see a sheen on the upper part of the eye which will do nicely I think for this kind of light. Well done.

1 Like

Your low angle really worked on the jetty, Hans. Makes it look like snow or ice. It looks like you were right about at minimum focal distance on this one. I love the background, but I do wish for a bit more canvas on top.

1 Like

Thanks all. @Diane_Miller : good observation, the whole series miss the catch light, must have to do with the fact that there was hardly any light (slightly foggy and overcast skies). @Dennis_Plank : I could add canvas of course, as one wouldn’t notice, but indeed I was very close :slight_smile: