Brave Bird

Last Friday I was able to make the shot I wanted: the White-throated Dipper standing on the edge of a small waterfall, illustrating its ability to stay stable in the fast flowing water … During this morning I could make a series of totally different images, depending on where the bird was.
I wrote as usual a little blog: https://www.hansoverduin.nl/brown-eyed-girl/
Thanks for any reactions, cheers, Hans

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/400s | f4 | ISO1400 | underexposed 2/3EV | camera on monopod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

This is really nice. Very unique with the position of the Dipper. Amazing how they can stand at that point in a little waterfall.

Living on the edge! Lovely photo Hans and your anticipation and persistence paid off handsomely. A tough exposure to not blow out some of the whites.

One of the best Dipper photos I have seen… great light and POV.

What a beautiful shot!

Well done! So nice to be able to plan a shot in advance and then have it actually happen. I’m really enjoying the composition, perch and background. I think you need a tad more color and contrast separation in the Brown plumage which seems to blend in to the background.

Excellent, Hans. Great setting and pose and some cool natural history thrown in. Artistically, I think the yellow blotches in the upper left could stand toning down a bit as they tend to pull my eye in that direction.

Wonderful catch!! I agree with Dennis about the UL BG – it would look lovely with more blur.

Thanks @Keith_Bauer, @David_Leroy, @Dan_Kearl, @Allen_Brooks for your comments !
@David_Schoen: thanks, but I cannot see any brown blending in on my screen, but assume your are referring to the head?
@Dennis_Plank: thanks, good suggestion, I will try and tone them down a bit
@Diane_Miller: thanks, aperture is already at f4, so more ‘blur’ could only be achieved when applied artificially - normally I create blur through wide open aperture and low angle, but here the BG was too close to the bird :wink:

I wasn’t very clear in my description but what I am trying to point out is the brown plumage in the head region is very similar in color to the background and if there is a way to increase the contrast just in that area, I feel it would make a difference.

Okay, all clear. I will try and see what comes out, thanks for your suggestion ! Best, Hans