10 minutes of snow this week

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

1st entry - We had a whole 10 minutes of snow this week at 30 minutes past official sunset. I decided to use a flash to capture the small snowflakes falling.

Technical Details

1/200 sec at f/32, ISO 64, 26.5mm (Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S) with flash!

I think flash with snow has an interesting effect and could have quite the possibilities. I’ve seen some images where this has been done, both in cities and landscapes. Kudos for getting out in your short time and making something with it.

1 Like

Thanx Karla - joined the group earlier this week - I’ve got lots to learn.

@jerry.pedersen - Welcome! I have been here a bit, and still have a lot to learn.

Jerry, welcome to NPN. I like how your flash emphasizes the falling snow, the main tree and the overall starkness. You’re main subject has an interesting shape. The sky in the upper left and along the top right is notably darker than elsewhere. Did you burn those areas in? If so, I suggest doing an internet search on creating and using luminosity masks. Those will let you burn in areas with specific tones while doing little or nothing to other tones. They work well on areas where you have dark branches overlapping the sky. (Tony Kuyper is a long time NPN member whose web site goes into lots of detail on using Luminosity masks, https://goodlight.us/)

thanx for the “luminosity masks” suggestion - I’m just starting to explore masks! I’ll take a look at his website.