A couple of hummingbirds

Description:

Had a chance to get out and photograph some of my little avian friends over the past 2 days. It’s been a while since I’ve posted any of these. Both were done with 4 off camera flashes with settings such that all of the light is from the flashes, i.e. no ambient component to the lighting.

I’ve been asked to prepare an NPN article on photographing hummingbirds which I’m currently working on for some future date.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

Olympus EM-1X
40-150 f/2.8 with 2.0 TC

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Two really good hummer images Keith. Your backgrounds are really nice as well. Just curious if they are they painted cardboard behind the set up or natural. On both of these I love the flowers as there are only 1 flower open on each of these stems. That first one is pretty unique with the hummer in a vertical position that you just don’t see very often however, I prefer the second image because more the plumage on its back is lit. Really looking forward to your upcoming article on shooting these guys with flash. Glad you could get out and shoot.

Gorgeous captures with wonderful setup, lighting and detail and beautiful BGs. Looking forward to your article. Three flashes will work in a pinch but I really need to get a 4th. One has to be used for the BG and if it doubles for some fill, shadows are hard to avoid.

They are just larger prints of out of focus plants / shrubs / ivy / etc.

Both beautiful shots, Keith. I prefer the first for the stunning BG colours - and that pose. I’m also looking forward to your article, as I love to photograph hummingbird hawk moths.

Gorgeous as always. I was going to post a hummingbird sequence, but now…maybe not. The flash set up (which I will probably never have patience for) is so well done as is using that kind of backdrop. The result is something so pleasing yet natural.

Lovely, as usual for your hummingbird images, Keith. I’m really looking forward to your article as you always have your flashes so perfectly balanced.

Very nice photos and am glad to see that you have cooperative hummingbirds. It looks like you waited for them to get their beaks into the flowers. Both are excellent, I like the first one for the pose and the second one for the stronger colors…Jim

I like both of these images quite well. I think I prefer the second because of the balance in composition. Both make good use of diagonal elements. Colors detail and background are perfect. I also look forward to seeing your article on how to do this. I only have one experience trying this but came nowhere near the color balance and lack of flashed appearance that you can achieve.

Just two lovely images. Nothing to improve here. Looking forward to your article.

Outstanding work, I love both of these images! I’ve only ever seen hummingbirds 2 -3 times in my life and I can’t for the life of me fathom photographing them – they are so fast! (and I’m so slow). That makes these images even more amazing to me. Oh, and I love your colours in these. The colour of the flowers go perfectly with the colours in the background.

Both gorgeous hummingbird shots, though I prefer the second for the more uniform background and the pose and the sense this is a more intimate look. Look forward to your article.