Canon 5D Mark iii
EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM

ISO 200
54 mm
f/3.5
1/2000 sec

@bezzios
1 Like

Hi Steven! Welcome to NPN! This is a great photo! It’s a beautiful fox and I love how she’s looking right at you! I also really like the surrounding landscape. I know you’ll like this community! Everyone gives and gets advice equally, from the novice like me, to the professional. Looking forward to more of your work and your critiques as well!

Hi Steven and welcome to NPN. This is a nice opening salvo. You were so close to this fox and what an experience that must have been. The colors, focus and processing are well done and the image is a pleasing one. I think it’s a tiny bit dark. Sometimes when shooting in full sun it is a bit contrast-y and harsh so if you dialed down exposure either in camera or in post, it shows. Especially in the sky. Did you use a polarizer for this? I think if you play with the luminance slider for blue or aqua, it could correct for the sky. Too bad about the bit of grass across the face, too. If you’re a Photoshop user you can probably remove it, but it will take some doing given it’s a face.

Overall though, it’s a fine image and has great potential. Do you have others from this encounter? Feel free to pop them into this thread if you like and drop by other threads and jump into the conversation. We all strive to improve not only our own work, but that of the people in our community.

Welcome to NPN, Steven. Great pose, stretched out like that. Nice. Looking forward to more of your work.

Hi Steven. Welcome to NPN. This is a really nice image. I don’t really mind the grass in front of the face-it adds a bit of extra reality to the image. I do think the sky is a bit too blue, but that’s easily fixed. You must have been very close to get this at 54 mm.

Note that the Human and Fauna forum is for domestic or captive animals or animals in an obviously human setting. The fact that it was taken in an urban area doesn’t matter if there’s no evidence of it in the image as in this one. Normally I’d say this image would go in the Wildlife forum unless this was taken in a wildlife park or zoo. If the latter, we ask that you state it explicitly in the description. If you’ll let me know, I can move this to the Wildlife forum.

Thanks for posting this and again, welcome to NPN.

Kristen, thank you for the warm welcome and advice!
I did use a polarizer and I very much like the idea of messing with luminance with aqua/blue
I don’t mind the grass in his face, he’s meant to be a little bit camouflaged after all.
Attached is another shot from the same 5 second interaction, he just kind of was there and then he left

It was kind of a strange little interaction, we turned around and there was just a fox watching us from less than 2 meters away. I turned around grabbed a couple pictures and walked away from him.

It’s adjacent to a Bivacco in the Casetinesi forest of Italy, so there are humans but by no measure is the area urban. Could you please move the photo to the wildlife forum?

Thank you kindly

@BezzioS I moved it to Wildlife. Thanks for the input.

Hi Steven!

Welcome to NPN!
It’s a cool subject & I like the pointed tail. The grassland looks great.
Looking forward to more images from your portfolio.