A perfect day

Last week I made a walk in my region, encouraged by the unusual beautiful November weather. Generally, November is the most miserable month of the year, no cold yet, but drizzle, rain and mist at 5-10 oC. But not this year, at least not until now.
The image shows the flood plain of a small river.

Specific Feedback Requested

The two large trees are the main subject of the image. I could crop more, but I prefer to keep it like this, because I think that the FG layers add depth to the image and I like the warm color of the strip of reed.
I like to read your comments on this, but any opinion is welcome.

Technical Details

Pentax K3 Mk. III, Sigma 2.8/17-70mm C @70mm, f/8, 1/800s, ISO800.

1 Like

Hi,
I think if those 2 trees are your subject then you don’t really need the strip of reed nor the cloud/sky… if there were more clouds I would say include them but as-is it makes my eye go up and left immediately. Try covering the cloud with your thumb and see what I mean.

The 2 trees are the main interest here. The light on them is so nice. The one on the left is particularly beautiful. I do think the cloud is noticeable in its placement and frankly I like how it is off to the side. I agree that without it there would be too much sky. I would suggest that the lime green grass makes the trees less impactful. So I tried desaturating it. I don’t know. Maybe it’s less optimistic now. Yes the original may be more impactful overall. Forget it.

Thanks, @Igor_Doncov and @Matt_Payne , for taking your time and your comments!
Igor, an interesting suggestion to desature the grass. I can’t decide yet what I prefer. I’ll chew on it for a while.
Matt, I think that the image is more than the 2 trees. Yes, they are the main subject, but without the context they are not enough to justify the image. That’s why I don’t want to crop. I like the surroundings that contribute to the scene. I immediately recognize your comment about the cloud and I agree, that the eye will flip between the cloud and the trees. But I prefer it to an empty sky, especially since it is off-center.

I really like the light hitting the left tree. It looks like it’s shimmering. The trees to left of that don’t do much for me and neither does the background to the right of the main right tree. However, I think you did well to compose this scene given the constraints you have here. I love the foreground and believe it’s as nice as the two main trees and anchors the scene beautifully. The lone cloud certainly does draw the eye and the placement in the sky is so far left that I don’t know what to make of it. But, the more I look at this image, the more I kind of like how add and out of place that lone cloud is off to the left like that. Other than how you’ve presented this I think the only other thing I can envision is cropping this square but I don’t think it’s as good as the original. So, I think I like this as presented and would change anything. You really got me thinking on this one, Han!

Thank you @David_Haynes for your thoughts and comments! You really took time to comment on this one, much appreciated.
The leaves of the left tree are silvery, especially because they are turned by the wind. That is what first drew my eye. I realize that the BG left and right of the main trees isn’t very interesting. But I included it because I think that it adds context to the image.

Han, it took me some time to value your image. After download I tried to crop so that only those amazing trees were left. That didn’t work. While doing so I began to see the beauty of the whole image. To me it’s all about clouds in the sky and also the trees look like big clouds. Well made !

1 Like

Thanks @Ben_van_der_Sande . I came to the same conclusion when I tried to crop.
Glad that you like it.