A Pied KF Escaping

Cruising on the Chobe in Botswana, I came across a number of kingfishers - fishing a lot and getting back to their burrows - saw these for the first time - in mud banks alongside the river
Kingfishers are small, quick and very difficult to photograph - especially in flight
The newer mirrorless cameras certainly make this easier
Was also fortunate to get this in decent evening light

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything goes - just say it !

Technical Details

Z9
Nikon 180-400 with TC 1:4 on

I/2000 sec / F8 / iso 2000

Handheld

1 Like

That’s a very nice flight pose you caught. And, I like that we are seeing its environment as opposed to just a blue sky.

1 Like

A wonderful pose, Karl, with a nice background. Exposure looks perfect. I can’t be sure, but the bird seems just a tiny bit soft.

A Pied Kingfisher, I think. Very nice flight pose and background.
I agree with @Allen_Brooks about seeing its habitat.

1 Like

“The King of Kingfishers” Sir David Attenborough called this bird . The wing position in fantastic. Lovely image, well done! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

40% cropped. also for a KF, shutter speed was probably on the low side - thnaks @Dennis_Plank

Just now seeing this and it’s really awesome. What a beautiful head turn and wing position. If you’re not apposed, I would clone out that tall bunch of grass. Wonderful background. Just a superb image.

You may be right @David_Haynes but as a wildlife photographer, I tend to minimize cloning - but will try - thanks!